Wednesday 14 July 2010

Getting a dog is the answer to the nation's obesity problem!

Last Sunday our pet-family number doubled. Waise our whippet/greyhound/lurcher dog, and Tom the black cat were invaded by two extremely energetic, totally adorable black Labrador puppies – BB and Sky.

It’s some 14 years since Mike and I took on a new pup. The last one was a German Shepherd called Max who was unique. Incredibly hard work at the beginning, an extraordinary character in the end and a dog we loved to bits. She spent her life following our old gardener Ken wherever he was working, happily sitting close by him and supervising! As Max grew old, Ken was reaching his 80s, and they loved their days together in our lovely garden. When Max died a year or so ago, she left a real void and we have spent many a happy time remembering her quirky character with enormous fondness.

But now we have BB (pictured, above, right) and Sky (pictured, above, left). I do the early and late shift and Mike does the day. It’s hard work. In the morning, at 6.15, I let them out and we go for a walk around the garden. They are so exuberant that it is almost impossible to walk as they weave in and out of my feet. Toilet duties accomplished it’s time for breakfast. Two bowls, identical, but each wanting to eat the other’s as they dash from one to the other in case there’s something extra in that one! BB is bigger and fatter than Sky. I can see why. She is at the front of the queue for food, pushing Sky out of the way as she gobbles down her puppy food. It’s just like humans really – scared that maybe after this meal there will be a world famine and this really is their last meal on earth!

As I write this they are asleep, fast asleep, in our kitchen. At last they have exhausted themselves. I’m going to bed too. After my hour of exercise with them this morning and another good walk again tonight, I feel I’ve had the equivalent of an hour and half in the gym – but it’s been much more fun! If I carry on at this rate I’ll be able to drink that extra glass of wine and not gain an ounce. I love you, puppies!

What has surprised us more than anything though, is how Waise has accepted the pups. Waise is a spoilt-to-death dog who has had our undivided attention since Max passed away. She has totally embraced the pups, lying down with them – almost baby-sitting – when they collapse into sleep after a highly energetic play period. She allows them to crawl over her, nibble her ear, and generally ‘play’ with her. It is totally enchanting. There is no jealousy, just pleasure at taking on the role of auntie! Long may it continue!

And Tom the cat? He’s really cool about the pups. As he sits in his usual spot on the settee the pups come and say ‘hello’. Tom taps them gentle on the nose as if to say, ‘If you’re nice to me, I’ll be nice to you and these claws will stay inside my paws’, and the pups carry on with their game.