Tuesday 26 May 2009

Bank Holidays and shaping up for summer...

I like Bank Holidays because they punctuate the year and give us a breather from the hussle and bussle of everyday life. But they do much more than that. They give us a point on the calender, a marker from which we can make new beginnings and start new habits.

With such beautiful weather for most people over the weekend it really does focus our minds on shaping up for summer. As we shed our warm clothes after a chilly couple of weeks, we become horribly aware of those extra pounds gained over the winter months which have been so ignored, and carefully camourflaged, under layers of garments for no-one to see – until now!

I am no different from the rest of you and I have seriously taken myself in hand over the last few weeks, as have lots of our staff.

Mike and I are holidaying in Portugal at the moment and when we were here in March my white trousers were unwearable. They now fit – snugly, admittedly - but they have been worn for a whole day and I was still breathing at the end of it. Deep joy! Drinking less wine, cutting back on portions, trying to be more active, have all helped. I still have some to lose (I don’t know how much because I don’t weigh myself – I just go by the fit of my clothes), but I’m ‘in the zone’. I have worked out this morning and feel better for it. I have made a decision, this bank holiday, to step up my exercise and keep on with the good resolve on the food and wine front.

Our usual holiday treats are Pringles and Haagen Dazs ice cream. There are no Pringles in the villa and the half-eaten tub of Haagen Dazs (left from last visit) is untouched.

I want to be slim more than I want these gorgeous indulgencies so let’s hope I can hold it together till we leave in 10 days’ time.

If you want to lose weight for your summer holidays, you need to get in the zone too. Think of five reasons why you want to be slimmer and write them down in your diary. Decide five things you can do regarding your eating habits to help you achieve weight loss. Then decide on five activities you will do each week to help burn extra calories and slim you down faster.

And if you are thinking that investing in some expensive bit of exercise machinery is going to be the answer, forget it. You will have a mad burst of enthusiasm for the first week then you’ll get bored. If you have a bit of kit already, why not dust it down, bring it in from the garage and give it a go. Even if you do use it for only a week, that’s better than nothing!

Losing weight takes effort and determination. Nobody said it was quick or easy, but we may be able to help you with some of the solutions that we offer via our website rosemaryconley.com. Check it out for yourself. Going to a class is definitely the most effective as you get the interaction of the other members as well as the supervision of a qualified professional, weighing you in and teaching you exercise safely and effectively. To find your local class simply put your postcode into our Rosemary Conley Diet and Fitness Club classfinder here. If you can’t get to a class, our online slimming club is great. You can communicate with other members via the chat room and coffee shop at any time of the day or night. And working out to one of my DVD’s will provide you with an easy-to-follow whole body workout that you can do anytime to suit your schedule.

I know how being overweight can rob you of your confidence – I once was two and a half stone overweight – and that’s why I want to help you achieve a body you can be proud of. We are so much happier when our weight is down and our fitness is up. Let’s go fot it – together.