Monday 9 November 2009

Poor Gordon!

Whilst I’m not a huge fan of our Prime Minister, I do feel really sorry for him today. Amongst his vastly hectic, globe-trotting, life Gordon Brown found the time to write a personal, hand-written note to a fallen serviceman’s mother offering his condolences at her sad loss. Unfortunately, Mr Brown addressed the letter to Mrs ‘James’, not Mrs Janes and as a result Mrs Janes is very upset and has publicly stated that she would rather he ‘hadn’t bothered’. How very, very sad.

The guns are out for Gordon Brown and the media are ready to jump on anything and everything they can but I don’t think they do themselves any favours when they appear so plainly vindictive. Having heard the complaint from Mrs Janes, Gordon Brown did no less than pick up the phone and call her to apologise. He is reported to be ‘utterly mortified’ by the fact that he made the mistake and that Jamie Janes’ mother has been offended rather than comforted. What else can the poor chap do?

Sometimes I receive letters that I feel I want to reply to ‘by hand’. It will not be a long letter, probably just a note on a post card. My handwriting is not pretty or stylish. I hope that the person who receives it is able to read it and I hope that they are pleased, and maybe surprised, that I have taken the time and effort to put pen to paper. But I may have to think twice in the future. Maybe I will have to show my notes to my PA to check that everything I have said is correct and appropriate. Such a concern takes away the spontaneity of the moment of goodwill and I think that’s sad.

So, I hope that on tonight’s 6 o’clock news Gordon Brown’s letter will not be the lead story and that emphasis will be given to other, much more important matters. Let’s move on.....