Monday 29 June 2009

When confidence is key

Last evening I was asked to speak at a Model Show held in Loughborough Town Hall in Leicestershire. It was organised by the local modelling school – the Pat Keeling Model Agency – and the event was being held in aid of the charity STEPS Conductive Education Centre in Leicestershire, of which I am Patron. The event was supported by Next, John Lewis, Adams and George.

The theatre was full and 130 students of the modelling agency strutted their stuff, danced and posed like true professionals. Their ages ranged from as young as four to models in their mid twenties – boys and girls. Everyone had fun! The students had obviously worked extremely hard to practise their routines and the adoring audience of friends and family were encouraging them every step of the way. Pat Keeling should be proud of what she had achieved as the event went seamlessly. The very notion that you could organise 130 young people to be at the right place at the right time wearing the right clothes was impressive.

Some of the models were outstanding. There were glamorous models, male and female, in their early twenties who had stage presence, looked stunning and were confident without being too much so. I have no doubt that they will go far and develop a successful career in this cut-throat business. Some of the children were unbelievable too – gorgeous smiles, confident on a big stage in front of hundreds of people, and a dream for any children’s fashion house. Others were less comfortable and probably won’t make it to the big time but that doesn’t matter. Just going through the process of learning how to walk elegantly, how to smile, how to stand tall and hold yourself well, and generally, just building self-confidence is brilliant. Every single one of those young people, potential models or not, will have benefitted from going to the school and performing last night.

When I was 18 I went on a modelling course at night school. I learned about hair, make-up, how to stand for a photograph, how to dress and so on. My intention was not to become a model but to learn how to make the most of myself and the confidence it gave me was priceless. I would not be where I am today without the confidence that the course gave me. Little did I realise then that years later I would be putting what I had learned into practise at photoshoots for the wonderful folk who appear in my magazine. And that’s why I am at every shoot that we do, to make sure we make our successful slimmers look their absolute best in the photographs. Check out our latest issue of Rosemary Conley Diet & Fitness at your local supermarket or call us to take out a subscription if you have difficulty finding a copy. Call 01509 620444 and ask for Lucy who is our Subscription queen.

So, if your son or daughter want to go to a modelling school, encourage it. It will build their confidence and enable them to grow as individuals. I am so glad I did all those years ago.