Monday 8 June 2009

Why I love Marks & Spencer

I have always respected Marks & Spencer as a brand that represents quality and service. The staff are always pleasant and there is a no-quibble returns policy which makes shopping for clothes significantly easier. (I hate trying things on in shops and much prefer to do it in the peace and quiet of home when I can try on various shoes and jewellery to see if they look right and suitable for me as an individual.) But I always used to think their food was expensive. That is, until I worked for them.

In 1996 I was invited to become a consultant to M & S to help them brand their healthy food range. Up to this point, food that was considered ‘healthy’ as opposed to ‘indulgent’ was just labelled as low - or lower - fat, or low sugar or high fibre. Over the next four years we worked together in re-branding their healthier options, initially under the ‘Healthy Choice’ range and then later they created the cleverly named ‘Count On Us’ range. My main advice involved consistent and clear labelling on the front of the pack as to how many calories the pack contained and what percentage fat it was. Next, I emphasised that the quantity needed to be maxed up not cut back, after all, dieters like their food!

M & S were a dream to work with. They listened, they put the suggestions into practice and it worked. I worked with them for four years (ending in 2000) and it was a privilege to work with such a company. My time with them was fun. We made a superb fitness video together which also incorporated their healthy food range and it was while we were working on the video that I learned so much about the standards that they set for their food products. They just have to be the best. Nothing is compromised and whilst the healthier option food range may cut back on the calories and fat, cutting back on flavour and indulgent taste was never an option. The ‘healthy’ ready meals had to taste every bit as good as the parent product.

As a result of my experience of working alongside M & S I have, ever since, always shopped there for our food. It tastes superb, it lasts longer and whilst it is not cheap, I believe it is good value. I am a huge fan. And the readers of my magazine, Rosemary Conley Diet and Fitness, seem to agree. Last year we launched our Fab Low Fat Food Awards and M & S won five awards. They are, in fact, the market leader in the healthy ready meals market and long may they continue. Why? Because they will not compromise on taste and quality and that is what we all want. If we are to be happy cutting back the calories while we try to lose weight, the quality and the taste of the food we eat is paramount. The key is to not to over-buy otherwise you will be over-tempted!