Monday 20 July 2009

You’re never too old...

Whether you are a fan or golf or not, you would have to know that over the last few days the Open has been held in Turnberry. For the less well informed, the Open is a major world golf tournament and Turnberry, (Scotland) is the best links, (by the sea), golf course location in the world.

I have never played golf but I was brought up in a golfing family. My parents played golf and I spent many an hour trundling around a golf course from when I was about six. My brother, Robert, showed great talent from an early age and at his peak played off a handicap of 2. Mike, my husband, is also a good golfer so the game still features in my life, albeit at a distance. And when we are in Portugal, our villa backs onto a golf course and there is nothing I like better than going around the beautiful courses as Mike plays.

Golf is a great sport and a wonderful form of exercise because it gives players a reason to spend hours walking in the fresh air. So, even though I don’t play, nor have any inclination to play, I am a fan. And never more so than this weekend – having watched quite a lot of the Open.

Why? Because the game is full of surprises. I think Tiger Woods is the most charismatic player of recent years. He shot to stardom because of his apparent natural flair and talent. He is also fit, good looking, and seems to be a nice bloke. But at the moment Tiger is off form and he didn’t make the ‘cut’ which meant that he didn’t get through to the third day because he didn’t play well enough. Instead, the man at the top of the leader board was a 59 year old golfer called Tom Watson. Tom has been playing golf at top level for over 40 years and was able to play in the Open because he is still a great talent. But playing 72 holes of championship golf over four days is hard physical work, no matter what your age. Nine months ago Tom was fitted with a new hip but yesterday he played brilliantly - again!

On the final day the performance of the top players in the world kept us all on the edge of our seats. One minute Tom had lost the lead, then he was back up their again. In the end it was a tie between Tom Watson and fellow American Stewart Cink and they had to play an extra four holes. Sadly for Tom, he lost. Stewart Cink, aged 36, came up trumps and clinched the championship and we have to commend him for that. But Tom Watson did much more than that. He showed everybody that even when you are almost 60 (his birthday is in 10 weeks’ time), if you are fit and healthy, you can still perform at top level and enjoy every moment. And he proved that golf is a great sport, no matter what your age.

It is very easy for folks to imagine that as they get older there is no need to bother about staying fit and healthy. They could not be more wrong! If we keep our weight down, keep fit and active, supple and agile, have something to aim for and find something we enjoy doing, life is worth living to the absolute full. And age is no barrier, nor should it be.

My job is to help people to lose weight and become healthier and fitter, no matter what their age. What I do know is that by just doing regularly a couple of classes (which I teach on a Monday evening), I have kept myself fit and in reasonable shape into my 60’s. I am so glad I did as I can live life to the full and I feel fit and healthy.

No matter what your age, it is never too late to slim down and shape up and our Rosemary Conley Diet and Fitness classes can help you achieve your goals. Why not check out our website www.rosemaryconley.com for a class near you.