Friday 14 August 2009

I’m exhausted!


It’s been a strange week. One filled with frustration at bureaucracy with the Highways Department as I’ve tried to get permission to erect posters to promote Music in the Meadow charity event; excitement as we photographed four wonderful successful slimmers for my magazine; the limitless generosity of our printer Geoff Lagor of Alpha Print who printed us an extra 350 posters for Music in the Meadow for free as the Highways Dept. were being so difficult, and Geoff Adams of Wordcraft who has printed us 10 roadside placards that are as big as a door (the Highways chaps will LOVE them! Not!) – also for free. Mike is all ready to erect them around our local villages on Saturday.

Check out the website www.musicinthemeadow.co.uk for details of the event being held on 29th August, 2009.

The tally so far for sales of Mega Raffle tickets, Gazebo Plot bookings and tickets for the Music in the Meadow event have already totalled £4k and everyone is getting excited. In two weeks’ time Ashby Folville will be turning into a mini Glastonbury and we will be ready for action. But in the meantime, I’m exhausted. It’s because organising events like this – with a wonderful team of helpers – takes time and it has to be fitted in between doing the day job and life carrying on as it does with all its twists and turns, ups and downs.

Last evening it was STEPS Trustees’ Meeting- STEPS is a conductive education centre for children with cerebral palsy and Down syndrome. STEPS will receive 70% of the proceeds of M.I.M. and as such, it is a very significant event for the charity. This week we have welcomed our wonderful new General Manager to STEPS. This is what we have been working towards for the last three years. Someone, full time, to be ‘head mistress’ to run the school and take it forward to new heights. Up to now we have run the STEPS Centre with the teaching staff, volunteers and Trustees with the lion’s share being done by the charity’s founder and President, Dr Heather Crate. When Heather’s grandson, Shaun, was born with severe Cerebral Palsy 19 years ago, I am sure Heather would never have guessed what challenges lay ahead and that so much would be achieved as a result of her outstanding dedication and determination. Last night was a proud evening.

So, today, at the end of this peculiar week, life will continue to be hectic and I will look forward to the weekend and being able to do some exercise to re-energise myself. I have sat down too much this week and my stress levels have suffered because of my inactivity. As soon as I start getting more active, my body and my brain will benefit hugely. Where’s Waise (our dog)? Let’s go for a walk!