Thursday 21 January 2010

Why am I dieting on holiday?

A week ago I was packing to come away and I knew I had put on a pound or two over Christmas resulting in my clothes selection being undertaken carefully. I don’t weigh myself at home because if I do I become paranoid about food, so I just go by the fit of my clothes and things had been getting a bit snug. Well, tight actually.

As soon as the New Year was underway I had made something of an effort and I was feeling not too bad about my weight and looking forward to lots of skiing and cold, fresh air to stimulate my metabolism.

I haven’t ventured near my ‘7 for all Mankind’ best jeans for months because they are hipsters and whilst I could probably get them on, all that would happen is that my ‘excesses’ would be squeezed into a very unattractive ‘muffin top’ overhang, which if allowed to persist would force me to have rolls of fat around my waist which I really, really didn’t want. No, those jeans are definitely my incentive and reward for when my weight is back where it should be. But my ‘Guess’ jeans that I wore on the cover of my Gi Jeans Diet book are higher cut and more forgiving so, I thought I would give them a go to see if I could take them on holiday with me. But horror of horrors, I couldn’t even do them up!

I have learned over the years that I must not become upset at times like this because if I do I go into panic mode, think about food all the time and end up gaining rather than losing weight. No, I must just accept that I need to switch a switch in my brain and eat a bit less, drink a bit less and do a lot more! In fact, all the advice I give out all the time to others.

So when we arrived at our hotel I made a decision. I would try to lose weight on this holiday by benefitting from the delightful array of different healthy foods that were available at breakfast and dinner, eat a light lunch, and combine this with lots of increased calorie expenditure created by skiing, skating, walking and working out in the hotel gym.

There is a set of scales in our bathroom which only weigh in kilograms. Should I risk weighing myself? Somehow, seeing my weight in a different measurement gives it a sort of anonymity, and just a figure by which to measure my progress, so yes, I decided to pop on them. On day one I weighed 52.7 kg. My aim is to reach 51.7 kg by this coming Saturday morning. By Wednesday I was 52.2 kg so I am definitely progressing.

I’m enjoying it. I’m in the zone mentally and I am determined to shed these few pounds that will mean I can get back into my posh jeans again. After all, as I am always quoting, nothing tastes as good as being slim feels!

If you need help to lose a few pounds, visit www.rosemaryconley.com for details of our classes plus lots more. And if you want to see how I used to look at my heaviest many moons ago – 10 st 4 lbs – take a look at www.rosemaryconley.tv.