Wednesday 22 April 2009

Guests at Hell's Kitchen

Tomorrow, Mike and I have been invited to dine at Hell’s Kitchen in London. I have to admit that this is the first time we have ever attended anything like this as neither of us are huge fans of reality TV programmes. In anticipation of our dining experience we have been watching the series unfold and develop and I have to say it is fascinating to see the true personalities of the celebrities emerging as they experience extreme stress and they become progressively exhausted at the challenges that are presented to them.

Marco Pierre-White is an interesting character and showed his true colours, in my opinion, in the way that he compassionately supported Jody a few days ago as this young man struggled with becoming a team player and the discipline required to run a tight and efficient kitchen to deliver a high quality service in a short period of time to an extremely high level. Jody was given the chance to raise his game but in the end it proved too much and Marco had to fire him in the interests of delivering the standard of cuisine expected of him.

Marco, of course, can appear fierce at times but he comes across as just being firm and in control of the situation and I think everybody respects him for that.

It’s interesting to watch Linda Evans, who with her maturity just gets on with everything, tries her best, never moans and just does whatever she’s asked to do. I hope she comes out as the winner at the end of this series.

What I feel is lacking from the show is educational hints or tips from Marco as to how he produces his amazing creations. I would like to feel that each day as I watch I could learn one tip that I could use in my cooking to make it tastier, easier or more exciting, but maybe that is not what this programme is about. Anyway, fingers crossed for an entertaining evening tomorrow and let’s hope here is something low fat that I can choose off the menu.